sábado, 21 de junio de 2014

NO lo siento!


Sitting on the plane from Boston to Madrid unable to doze off and surrounded by Spanish accents, already foreign food, and subtitles I didn't understand - all while on a plane bigger than my country bumpkin self had ever seen besides in the movies was the most terrifying part of this trip. I was going to invade the life of a family and attempt to fit into a group of students that seemed too amazing to be true. 
Yet even my highest expectations wouldn't have reached as far as this experience has taken me. Not only can I communicate in Spanish better than I ever could have imagined (and almost understand/imitate the Andalucian accent!) - but inserting myself into a culture very similar yet immensely different than that that I am used to was an unforgettable experience. Leaving this Monday brings me so many emotions and strongest of all a yearning to return not only to this country that I now feel a strong bond with but to explore other corners of the world and uncover their secrets.

DO's & DON'T's

BLOG. (and don't get lazy) Take pictures of everything and archive them well enough to be of use to you. You will appreciate this later and your friends and family will now! It's also much easier to send them in the direction of your blog and catch up with them personally once you're back to offer them your full attention. This is something I failed at. I really wish I had had time to write more in English about my experience. Towards the end of the trip my regular picture posts have been dwindling and I have a back-up of photos that need to be edited.
LOVE YOUR NEW FRIENDS. (and don't take them for granted - they're your only friends here) If your group is anything like this year's, you are surrounded by the best and brightest superstars of Michigan. I have been humbled at the amazing talents and influences that all of my classmates possess at UofM. I could go on and on but I'll leave it at that, because you will love them all by the end(:
BE A REGULAR AND A TOURIST. (don't get too comfortable) It's really fun to become a regular at your favorite cafe, restaurant, or bar in a foreign country. After a while finally the owner doesn't just see you as an annoying American guiri and it feels pretty cool to have an island in the chaos that you feel like you belong (being the host daughter of a family that owns a pizzeria I am probably a prime example of that because I even got to know a few of the regular customers). However - it is also to not become comfortable. I tried to remind myself everyday that while everything felt routine that I was in this foreign city with much more to offer than what I had formulated as my daily route. Journey up into the bars of the Albaycin, trek across the river to new playgrounds (and possibly even get yelled at for playing captura la bandera a little bit too late at night), pick a different discoteca, take a wrong turn when you're looking for a cafe to study at, and turn a different way on your walk back from class.

I could go on and on but I think that part of the experience is being able to come up with your own list of successes and things you wish you had done at the end. Perfection definitely isn't the name of the game.

1 comentario:

  1. Luna - a good list of suggestions. Without a doubt, this year's group of students was special.

    ResponderEliminar