domingo, 15 de junio de 2014

Maria Mi Cocinera!

Tonight, I had the opportunity to go grocery shopping with my host mother and talk with her about what it's like to be a Spanish cook.  She is a FABULOUS cook, so I would definitely take her word for it!


Displaying photo.JPG

The supermercado: Because this was a mid-week stop, we only bought a few fresh fruits and vegetables from a nearby supermarket.  In some ways it was similar to a American chain grochery, though a bit smaller and the workers wear wonderful green-and-white pinstripes! The most interesting difference, for me, was that the produce was an entirely separate, roped-off section of the store. Customers buy just produce here after completing the rest of their shopping, and are assisted by fruit package-rs and weigh-ers. My señora loves to chat and had the worker laughing with her silly diatribe on potato quality! We bought potatoes, cauliflower, and celery.

Where?  My señora shops at both the supermarket and the local neighborhood shop a few doors down from our building.

How often?  Usually three times per week - a big trip each Friday small supplemental (mostly fruits and veggies) trips throughout the week.

How expensive?  My señora agrees that prices are indeed MUCH higher than they were even just a few years ago.

With a plan?  My señora always enters the supermarket knowing exactly what meals she needs to prepare that week and which ingredients she needs. It's a science!

How much time?  Maria usually spends an hour to an hour and a half per day cooking, depending on what dishes she's making. It's a lot of work!

Favorites?  Her favorite dish to eat is patatas fritas con huevos (think-cut French fries with eggs on top - in definitely a fan too!). She can't pick a favorite food to cook because she likes to make them all (well, especially desserts!).  She absolutely loves to cook and takes a lot of pride in it.

From whom?  My señora learned  to cook from her mom, who was also a wonderful cook.

Food television??  My señora is not a fan of cooking TV shows!

And finally, tortillas de patatas!! Without a doubt these are my favorite plate in Spain, and my host mother is teaching me.  Here's a good recipe so that you in the States can enjoy this wonderful meal too! :  http://www.recetatortilladepatatas.com

1 comentario:

  1. Your señora is teaching you how to cook the tortilla de patatas? You will have to make that for friends and family when you return!

    ResponderEliminar