domingo, 22 de junio de 2014

How Time Flies!

Wow, how the time flies by.  I'm sitting here at home watching the birds fly pass my window, looking down at the rio (river), and thinking as the cars ride past - taking in the last moments of the last full day here in Granada.  I was talking to a friend yesterday.  I was telling him.... "I don't know what's the big deal.  It's not that bad.  We will see each other in Ann Arbor.  It's not like we wont have a relationship anymore."  Then it just hit me today.... It's not simply about the relationships, but the experience.  I'm not sure when there will ever be another time where I could look out my window and be able to behold the beauty of the Granada mountains...... or listen to the beautiful music of street performers as they beg for money..... or watch the spontaneity of flamenco shows on the street.... these are the some of the little, yet great, things that make our Granada experience.  To help insure that you share some of the same culture experiences that I had, I will provide you with a small list of "do's" and "dont's."

Do's:

1. Make sure you try many different foods in Granada.  I actually didn't have the opportunity to do so.  I always had tappas.  I tried regular Spanish foods from restaurants, and didn't have a great experience.  Therefore, I always ate at home, or ate tappas.  I wish I would have forced myself to eat more foods at the restaurants - but honestly, I loved my Madre's food more.  I was hardly ever disappointed. 

2. Make sure you walk around the city.  The events are fun (and take up LOTS of time) but there is nothing like discovering things on your own :).  There were many times my friends and just walked around the city to explore - these are the times that we shared our greatest moments!

3. Make sure you map the places that you enjoy going to when exploring the city.  My friends and I hardly ever did that.  As a result, we were not able to return to some of the places that we enjoyed the most. 

4. Don't be a aguafiesta (party pooper).  I was very guilty of this.  I hardly went out and enjoyed the company of my peers because I felt behind in class.  Since being a returning student - I am older than some of the students here, and it had been a few years since I had taken Spanish.  I wish I had allowed myself to relax more. 

Don'ts:

1. Please make sure you don't sacrifice your peace of mind, money, and emotions for something that does not seem to be working.  This is something that I learned later on (a week before the program ended).  When I arrived here, I had a horrible time with my Madre.  I was the only one living with her.  She complained about washing my clothes, she turned the hot water off on me during showers, she didn't let me stay out late, and she always made me feel bad about my level of Spanish.  She had no patients with me.  Many times I would go to class exhausted or sad because of the things I was experiencing at home.  No one really knew what I was going through because I learned from my childhood how to "fly with the punches, and keep it moving."  My goal was to "kill her with kindness."  I was hopping that if I tried hard enough, she would have no choice but to except me/love me.  However, it never worked - I kept feeling rejected.  I didn't realize how much of a burden this living situation was until I left.  During the last week of the program, my old mother made me so sad that I decided I couldn't be there any longer. 

I AM SO SATISIFIED AND GRATEFUL for the team that we have here in Granada!  When I told Sarah Pauling about my final experience, she ACTED QUICK!  She contacted Bagonia (the Director of the CEF Program).  When Bagonia heard about everything I was experiencing, she was said that I didn't not come to her sooner (I didn't because I don't like drama - I thought I could work it out on my own).  She reinforced me that I am PAYING for the program - therefore I should be treated with the respect that I deserve.  Following that meeting, she immediately found me a different place to live within three calls!!!  AND NOW...... I am staying with the BEST MADRE EVER!!!!!  Both she and I are extremely sadden about the little time left that we have with each other - I plan to keep contact with her for a LONG time.  I have drawn closer to her over the last 5 days, then I had with my first mother whom I stayed with for 5weeks.  I will miss her so MUCH!  I am happy that I had a chance to experience a different home because my perception of Spanish families were not very positive until I met her!!!!  SHE IS MUY GUAY! 


 
Please understand that if you are experiencing a home that is causing you stress - it is CEF's job to find you a place that is more fitting.  Don't be like me and wait until the last week to find a knew home because you think that you can solve your own problem.  There are people, just like my Madre who are WANTING for you to come stay with them :) AND CEF (Bagonia, Dani, and Jorge) are here for you!  They want you have a good cultural experience and will work to help you achieve that goal.  DON'T be afraid to tell them if you are experiencing hardships in your home.  Let me be clear, hardships aren't: "I don't like the food," "I can't take baths every night," or "they aren't baking me cakes" lolol. 
 
2. Don't overestimate the amount of money you need.  I came here thinking that $700 U.S. dollars would be enough money to last me through the 6 weeks here - as projected by CGIS.  I don't really think that this is an accurate projection for spending money - especially if you desire to buy things for other people!  $700 dollars converted into euros is more like $500. 
 
3. Don't take this experience for granted.  There is so many people who never experienced any country outside of the United States.  This is a great  time to take advantage of the opportunity to live in  and experience a different country.  I guess one thing I would have wanted to do more is TALK IN SPANISH with EVERYONE!  I don't think that I used my time wisely with the other students - we talked in English more than I wanted to :(.  Don't talk in English with the other students lol :).

1 comentario:

  1. Jeanie - a wonderful list of suggestions. I am sorry the first home situation was not pleasant but you have taken that experience and made the most of it. Great job! All my best as you continue on after UM.

    ResponderEliminar