domingo, 15 de junio de 2014

Keeping It Hot, Steamy and Tasty in Granada.

Do you ever feel lonely in Granada? Want that significant other to keep you company at night when those desires are at their peak? I know your problems and I have got the solution! Here is a guide on how to satisfy all your (food) desires in Granada and not break the bank! I have interviewed my host mom and she has given me some top notch information on getting a bang for your buck and fulfilling your appetite in Granada.

In Granada there are two main places where the locals buy food. Las tiendas in el barrio (The stores in the neighborhood) and los supermercados (yep you guessed it--supermarkets. You're smart!). The supermercados are bigger stores that have more food options than the neighborhood store with fruit, and drinks and assorted necessities. My house mom said that she buys most of her food, such as veggies, fruits, meats and milk--which she buys in bulks of 8 cartons. However when it comes to buying more commercialized things like water and Coca Cola, she goes to the supermarket. She goes to the supermarket 15 times a month and neighborhood stores 4 times a month. This ratio is due to the fact when she buys at the neighborhood stores, she really goes hard and buys alot of food.

In recent years, she has noticed that there has definitely been an increase in the price of groceries. She says about 5-10 years ago it was possible to spent 70-80 euros on a grocery trip, but now its about 150...Que lastima! (What a shame). When she goes to buy food, she uses a list that is kept on the side of the refrigerator for convenience. The foods that she buys every time she shops are foods that I have consumed everyday since I got here: bread and cheese. Her favorite food to cook and eat is called Rabo de coro, which is a sort of ox tail stew from what I have seen from online. She said it takes a time to cook Unfortunately, I have not been able to experience this because ya girl does not mess with beef. :(

On an average day, my house mom spends two hours a day cooking. Even though she works and it is only her and my sister that lives here, I can tell that she takes pride in cooking and talking about her cooking. My house mom's advice is to save money, but also enjoy food and culture in Granada.

Her advice: Shop in neighborhood stores, eat home cooked meals and get free tapas!

1 comentario:

  1. Your señora and I share a favorite dish in common (perhaps many others, as well). Rabo del toro is about as good as it gets when you're talking meat dishes. Can you simply pretend it's a really big chicken and eat some?

    ResponderEliminar