martes, 3 de junio de 2014

Mi Barrio

I've grown very fond of my neighborhood in Granada over these past few weeks. It definitely took awhile to get my bearings, but I've come to notice different landmarks and patterns in the community that help me find my way (and even figure out what time it is). First and foremost, I got pretty lucky location wise. My apartment complex is about a three minute walk from school, five minutes from the infamous post office meeting point, 3-5 minutes from the gym depending on how late I am for zumba, and there are tons of cafes and bars in the area.
This is the front of my building. I live on the fourth floor and there is an elevator, but my goal is to not be winded walking up the stairs by the end of the program. If you search my address on google images the area looks a bit rough a round the edges--or at least my mom was not impressed by all the graffiti. But I'm a big fan of it, graffiti and all. Some of it is pretty cool!

This is Yo10, the gym where I have a month and a half membership. Typically I'm not a fan of gyms (too bright, too cold, too many people trying to show off), but the facilities are really nice, it's not usually too crowded, and the fitness classes are pretty great. As mentioned, my favorite is zumba, but they also have core classes and spinning classes. These are definitely the sweatiest ones I've taken (yoga and pilates here is basically equivalent to a siesta), although I have yet to try something they call "body pump" and "virtual fusion".


Public spaces area big deal in Spain, and generally take the form of plazas. This one, Plaza Trinidad, is pretty much the midpoint between my apartment and school. It's perfect for a midday treat, and there are plenty of surrounding cafes that all look delicious but most of which I have yet to try. There's a pretty decent gelato place in the corner, but see below for a picture of my all-time favorite, Los Italianos. 

Since going over to a friend's house isn't really a thing here, places for kids to play are important. And they're everywhere! This is just one (quite small) example of a park near my house.



Back to food: churros con chocolate has become a staple of my diet here in Spain. This is just one example of a place you can get them, but I suggest trying as many as you possibly can! 


And finally, this is one of the many yummy fruit stands in the area. Prepare yourselves, because Spanish produce is nothing like American produce (unless we're talking about California avocados or Florida oranges). Generally you can get a lot of fruit for not a lot of money, and it makes a great any-time snack! 





 

1 comentario:

  1. I'm with you on the fruit in Spain. It is so much better and affordable than back in MI!

    ResponderEliminar