lunes, 23 de junio de 2014

I can't believe I'm writing this

I really don't want to write this blog post. Not because I want to get a bad grade or because I'm too busy eating delicious tapas but because writing this means that the program is over and I'm leaving this fantastic city that I have grown to love.

I came to Granada not knowing what to expect, which I think was a good thing. Sometimes it's better to not have any expectations because it leaves room for you to adapt to everything. I wasn't expecting how close our whole class would become and I'm dreading having to say goodbye to everyone even though most of them are going to be at Michigan in the fall. Often times big groups can become divided and exclusive but this group has been the most fun and inclusive group of people I've ever had the pleasure of spending 6 weeks in a foreign country with. I also wasn't expecting my host family to be so kind and inclusive. They have made me a part of their family and I will forever be grateful for all they have done for me.

Even though 6 weeks is a very short time (trust me it flies), I think my Spanish has improved so much in that time. I have also learned how to use what I know in the language to talk about things I don't know which has proven to be a very important and helpful skill.

I could go on forever about all of the incredible memories I have of this place and these people, like climbing gigantic rocks and swimming out to buoys in the Mediterranean Sea, staying out so late in a discoteca that you watch the sunrise on your walk home, or inventing ridiculous games to keep ourselves occupied and entertained on the very long tours, but thinking about all of that might make me cry so, here it is, all condensed, here are the do's and the dont's of what will be one of the best times of your life:

Do's

1. Say yes, to everything (I mean don't do illicit drugs, but I think you get what I mean). Go to that Zumba class with everyone even though you can't dance, try the most foreign food you can find, explore the new neighborhoods even though you might get lost. The best stories and memories come from these experiences and they help you bond with your friends.

2. Spend time with your host family. Don't just be a renter, be part of their family if possible. This can be as simple as making mealtimes a priority. Besides the restaurant food is never as good as your host mom's cooking anyways.

3. Make every minute count. It's cliche, but the truth is your time will be over before you know it. If you assume that you have infinite time , you will miss out on opportunities and you are more likely to have regrets when your time is over. As my friend Ferris Bueller once said, "life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Don'ts

1. Don't waste too much time missing things from home, whether it's food, or people, or culture. It will take away from your appreciation of new place you are living. Basically, be present in the place, both physically and mentally.

2. I've said it before but seriously, don't be afraid of failing, or making mistakes. And when you do fail know that everything will eventually work out.

3. Don't get so comfortable that you forget basic safety principles. It's only too easy for that to happen and then before you know it someone makes off with your bag and all your worldly possessions. (It sucks. I don't even want to talk about it because it's still too soon).


Well that's all folks. Adios Granada. Hasta luego.

1 comentario: