domingo, 22 de junio de 2014

It's Not Goodbye, It's See You Later

I can’t believe my time in Spain is actually over. Before I left for Spain, six weeks seemed like more than enough time. But as much as I miss the comfort and familiarity of my hometown, family, and friends in Michigan, I don’t want to return because I have created all those things here in Spain.

Although I never want to leave, I have to face the fact that my flight home is quickly approaching. My teacher has asked to reflect upon my time here and create a “do’s” and “don’ts”. This list definitely has a lot more DOs then DON’Ts because I believe when traveling abroad, you should only being DOing and making memories, not worrying about the DON’T mistakes.

Do:
  • enjoy every. single. moment.
  • after enjoying the moment, capture a picture - sadly, without pictures I have already forgotten some of my first memories here in Granada
  • eat Tapas! They are free with a drink, only in Granada (other cities in Spain they are very cheap)
  • enjoy the legal drinking age of 18! and the cheap alcohol! You won’t be able to get good quality and cheap wine with dinner back in the states (well, unless you’re 21!)
  • appreciate the quality time and meals with your host family - this is the unique part of the program that I love! My host mom is fantastic (and I’m going to miss ALL her food - even the blood sausage!)
  • join a gym, specifically Yo10, and attend Zumba class daily (this is essential :P)
  • give in to FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) - because if you don’t go out and make memories with your friends, you will definitely miss a special memory
Don’t:
  • spend more money than you have - it’s difficult handling finances overseas
  • forget sunscreen! Too many of my friends have burned like lobsters :(
  • wait until the last day to do EVERYTHING (souvenir shopping, goodbyes, etc.)

As I’m posting this, I have approximately 48 hours left in Granada. These hours will be filled with goodbyes, my last Zumba class in Spain, my final exam (ewwww), crying, and reminiscing. Can’t wait to share photos, memories, (and souvenirs!!!) with all of you back in the States!

XOXO,
Lia

Added SHOUTOUT to all my new BEST FRIENDS (yes, you're all my best friends now)
The best part of this program is that I was with 14 other UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN students! That means I can easily see all my friends when I return to my home (in Michigan.) I laugh at the fact we have already made plans to have dinner at one another's homes, go to an apple orchard, and hang out on football Saturdays. These people mean the world to me and without them this program would have been such a different experience.

So guys, the one thing I don't have to say "goodbye" to are all you lovelies. I will definitely be seeing you later <3


1 comentario:

  1. Lia - great idea regarding sunscreen. I am very guilty of this and often suffer the consequences. Ouch!

    ResponderEliminar