lunes, 2 de junio de 2014

Me Gusta Cordoba Mas Que Seville

Hola!

I understand that from the title it might appear that I did not like Seville but that is not the truth. It was a interesting city but I felt it was just too big to go to for only a single day. It also felt a lot like bigger Granada; whereas, Cordoba was a completely different type of town.

That speaks to the first thing I learned from this trip, the smaller the city/town is in Spain the more I seem to like it. I enjoy the ability to be able to traverse and find interesting spots as soon as I get to the town. In addition to this I have found that the small towns I have been to in the mountains, like Cordoba, lack many of the large apartment structures; instead sticking to small stucco buildings that I find infinitely more aesthetically pleasing. This is not always the case though, for large cities like Seville often have areas with buildings that are just as beautiful as the smaller towns.

This brings me to the next thing I learned, the cathedral in Seville is beautiful and massive. I have been to many cathedrals but Seville lived up to being the largest. I had not known this before visiting Seville, but it was plainly obvious after entering the building. I believe Ian pointed out how it looked much like the halls of Moria where the Fellowship first encounters the Balrog. I don't think that is what the Catholic church was going for but they sure did a good job at it.

This leads to the third thing I found interesting from the trip, the Mosque Cathedral of Cordoba. This building should be held up as the shining star of conservation activists. I have never before seen a building that managed to recycle and repurpose so many types of buildings and materials. From old churches, roman pillars, and a mosque a beautiful cathedral was born. The Catholic church was truly ahead of its time.

The final thing I learned was that I will need to visit Cordoba again. As I said before it was my favorite of the two cities, but I feel I missed much that it had to offer since we visited on a sunday. Most of the stores and restaurants were closed. I was hoping to find a shop that sold leather shoes since I had heard Cordoba was known for their silver and leather work but Unfortunately I will have to save this pursuit for another day; the tragedy.

That is all I have for now.













1 comentario:

  1. Grant, I'm with you on the preferring smaller places. Nice post. No pics?

    ResponderEliminar