miércoles, 21 de mayo de 2014

The Beautiful Alhambra and Some Spanish Superlatives

We have a shortened school week and aren’t required to blog, but I thought I’d provide a quick update this Wednesday, as it was a crazy-fun weekend and we have another busy week now.

Favorite Spanish phrases learned so far: tiquismiquis (picky), Qué guay (how cool – this is used a lot)
Hardest moment: getting lost – almost every day!  I think I might be becoming known for my lack of sense of direction.  Granada isn’t a huge city, but its streets meander and curve, not following a clear grid.  Plus, because I’m so new here, all of the streets still look the same!
Favorite Spanish foods: paella (rice dish), tortilla de patatas (con huevos y queso – a bit like a quiche), sandwiches con huevos y queso, sopa de verduras
Best reminders of home: Skyping with family, keeping in touch with US friends, pictures on my nightstand, running and keeping in shape, a few products from home (like my treasured sunscreen! Please wear sunscreen!! I think I might just start including a sunscreen PSA with every post)
Best deal: just two euros for a huge bag full of fresh strawberries!
Most embarrassing blunder: I accidentally asked my host mother if she went to the bathroom (baño) often, rather than the beach (playa)!
Best view: the Albaycίn.  This spot also wins “most pictures taken by the silly Americans”. 
Most beautiful building: Iglesia Virgen De Las Angustias, a Catholic cathedral.  A few of us went to this weekend’s mass, and it was breathtaking as well as uplifting:


Tastiest sugar rush: CHURROS CON CHOCOLATE!
Best group member: All of them!! Seriously, this group is the best and is really bonding. I feel like I’ve known them all for forever, and every single person brings something different to the group dynamic.  I’m very lucky to have been placed with such wonderful, supportive people.
Best hugs: from my host mama!
Saddest finding: during a language exchange with a local middle school, we had a chance to speak with Spanish students who were trying to learn English, switching languages and sharing stories.  Which was GREAT, I can’t wait to do it again this week!  But I asked each of my groups what their stereotypes of Americans were, and every single group said gordo (fat), hamburguesas, and McDonalds L
Best purchase: shoes with traction!  The beautiful streets are very slippery (nothing like US cement), and today (our first day with rain) was terrifying!
Most excited for: the Alhambra and Generalife, the two most famous sites in the city!  We’re taking a tour this afternoon, and I’ll add some photos below before posting this blog. !Hasta luego!
---------------------------------------------------------------

Update: the Alhambra was even more beautiful than we imagined!  See some of the hundreds of gorgeous views below:









No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario