jueves, 15 de mayo de 2014

Ahh, Granada!

I still can’t believe that we’re in Granada!  We’ve been here for just three days, but somehow it feels like home already.  I wake up to sunlight streaming through my window, pad down the narrow hall in my slippers, and greet my sweet señora with kisses.  After chatting with her, sipping on cafe chocolate (like hot chocolate, but less sweet), and nibbling on pan, the day begins!  I love the walk to class: stepping out of the apartment, the air is still cool and calm.  Navigating the bustling, colorful, cobblestone streets, taking in the businesspeople and children in their school uniforms and vendors already opening their shops, I can’t help but think that some passerbys – or at least other tourists – might mistake me for a native…


Until I open my mouth, that is!  Still, I can feel my speaking and listening comprehension increasing with every conversation, and CGIS truly creates an immersive experience for us.  At first I was apprehensive about living with host families and speaking almost exclusively Spanish, but it truly is the best way to learn.  The adjustment was easier than I expected, and I’m constantly surprised by how much I appreciate the Spanish schedule, customs, and attitudes.  I love the big lunch and the late dinner, the beautiful parks and architecture, the slower pace and the frank Spanish attitudes.  And the tapas, oh my goodness!  Our UM group is a great bunch of friends, and our professor and program assistant are so helpful.  This evening we’re visiting the Albaycin and a traditional tea house (class is in the morning, and our afternoons are filled with activities!).  I’m so grateful for the opportunity to be here and so happy to have ended up in this beautiful, thriving city.


Tips for future students:
  • Don’t worry if you haven’t taken language classes in a while.  It’s been two years for me, and I’m amazed by how much I’ve retained!  Still, definitely study before departing.
  • Make an effort to talk with your host families, even if you feel frustrated with the language barrier.  I try to bring a few conversation topics to each meal and make sure I know the important phrases to convey those.  I’ve learned so much from my host mother, and I can tell she appreciates the effort and company.
  • Be considerate of your host family.  My host mother likes when I turn off lights, unplug chargers (utilities are very expensive here), close doors, and greet all of her guests.  Offer to help (with dishes, laundry, etc) whenever you can.
  • SUNSCREEN!  Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen.  Also comfortable walking shoes, as we walk a lot.
  • Our host mothers love to feed us!  I’ve found the phrase “Estoy llena” (“I’m full”) very helpful!  My mother cooks delicious traditional Spanish food, but some classmates’ families serve more Americanized meals.
  • Don’t forget that you’re still taking classes.  Honestly, the course load has been heavier than I expected (but it’s okay, because Professor Noverr makes it fun!).  This is an intensive, University of Michigan course.  Don’t get so caught up in exploring that you neglect your schoolwork. 
  • At the same time, don’t stay holed up in your casa.  Granada is such a vibrant, unique city, and you will never run out of things to do!  Immerse yourself in the culture!  !Buenas suerte! 


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario